Home Residents Businesses Visitors Departments Online Services Quick Links Home
Obtaining a Building Permit


OVER THE COUNTER PERMITS: Permits that do not require plan check, such as water heater change-outs, meter panel upgrades, patio covers using the City standard, re-roofs with lightweight material and block walls using the City standard, may be issued over the counter at the Building Division counter.

PLAN SUBMITTAL PERMITS: Permits requiring plan check are issued after the plans have been submitted to, reviewed and approved by applicable departments. The required reviews are based on the type of work of your project. Please refer to the matrix by clicking here.

HOW TO APPLY FOR A BUILDING PERMIT: A building permit may be applied for and obtained by the parcel owner, licensed contractor or an employee of either one with current workers compensation insurance. If you are parcel owner but are sending someone to apply for a permit on your behalf please provide them with an Authorization to Act on your behalf and the completed Owner-Builder Acknowledgment and Information Verification Form.

SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: When applying for a building permit, the number of plan sets required at submittal are based on the type of work of your project. Refer to this document for further information. Full sets of plans require the following details and documents when applicable to your project

  • site plan
  • floor plan
  • section drawings
  • elevation plan
  • framing plan
  • roofing plan
  • structural calculations
  • energy calculations

Plans must be submitted on a minimum of 18"x24" sheets, fully dimensioned and drawn to scale. A licensed engineer or architect is required for an addition or alteration over one story, or any work that is non-conventional framing.

The Building Division of the City of Anaheim is located on the first floor of City Hall East, 200 S. Anaheim Blvd. Counter hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call the Building Division at (714) 765-5153 or click here to visit their website.

Look for other Answers
Make a Service Request

   Display more Topics for 'Building, Planning and Zoning'
   Return to all Questions and Answers

   Make a Service Request

© 2004-2015 Accela Inc.