Inquire Boulder

Water System Maintenance

The city maintains more than 450 miles of water pipe that serve more than 29,000 customers. The water department also maintains and services about 4,700 fire hydrants. All fire hydrant maintenance, including inspections, repairs and painting is managed by Public Works, not the Fire-Rescue Department. The water department also routinely operates valves and flushes fire hydrants to ensure reliable, high-quality, potable water service. 

City water customers are advised to know the location of the water shutoff valve inside their home (different from the water meter valve) and how to shut off water in case of an emergency, such as a broken or frozen water pipe. This knowledge can help prevent extensive and expensive damage to your property.

The water department's normal business hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  After-hours staff respond to true emergency events, such as water main breaks.To report an emergency water maintenance issue, including a city water main leak or break, please call 303-413-7100 between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. At any other time, please call 303-441-3245. Please report all emergency issues by phone (do NOT make an online service request) to ensure a prioritized response by city staff. 

Water customers should be aware that after a water main break, tap water may temporarily have a light brown or yellow color. The cause is typically common iron rust from inside the city water pipes.Visit the Drinking Water Quality and Discolored Water Questions page for more information. 

The city also offers an interactive web map called the Water Distribution Info. Center that displays locations and live information about planned and unplanned water shutoffs, including main breaks and annual water utility projects.  

For all non-emergency water maintenance issues, including fire hydrant and water meter issues, please select the "Make a Service Request" button below. Do NOT use Inquire Boulder to request utility locates prior to digging. All requests for utility locates must go through the 811 dispatch center. For more information on locating underground utilities, please see the Locate an Underground Utility page.

Make a Service Request for Water System Maintenance
View Full Site