Constructing, adding on to or remodeling a building in the City of El Monte does not have to be complicated. The Building Division provides assistance and advice for anyone wishing to build either commercially or residentially in the City . The department always recommends that a state-registered contractor be hired to coordinate all phases and types of construction for your project; in fact, most commercial construction require a contractor. Follow these required steps to ensure a safe and compliant building:
- Submit two sets of plans that details the scope of the construction to the Building Division for review and approval.
- You will then be guided by the Building Division staff of the required steps that must be followed. Following this step, a building permit will be issued for the scope of the construction.
- After the building permit is issued, you may apply for electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits as needed.
- Set up inspections on all permits issued by the Building Division.
- After all inspections have been completed and finalized, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued so that the new dwelling may be occupied.
For more information about any aspect of building and construction in El Monte, or to learn specific requirements about your project, stop by the Building Division located at 11333Valley Blvd., City Hall West, 2ND Floor, between 8:00am and 5:30pm, Monday through Thursday, or call the Building Division at (626) 580-2050.
|Make a Service Request for Building Permits|| |