Volunteers are a valuable resource at the Hayward Library, enhancing library services by performing jobs not ordinarily handled by staff.
Sign up to volunteer by completing an Adult Volunteer Application Form OR Youth Volunteer Application Form at the Information Desk at either library. You will be called to discuss your schedule, interests, and talents to find a match with the tasks needing attention.
Specific volunteer opportunities at the Library include:Community Service Hours - volunteer hours needed for education-related community service credit are sometimes available. You may be on a waiting list before you are called. Volunteer hours for court-ordered community service credit are not available.
- Literacy Plus Tutor - provide free, confidential, one-to-one literacy tutoring to English-speaking adults who read below 8th-grade level.
- Senior Outreach Volunteer - select and deliver library materials to the homebound Hayward residents, involving one to two hours every two to three weeks.
- Friends of the Library - involves a variety of activities, principally book sales to raise funds for Library services, newsletter mailings, and promoting the Library in the community.
- Homework Support Center - help students with their homework after school, Monday through Thursday.
- Student Friends - in the spring and summer, students in Grade 7 and up help with the Summer Reading Game or other library programs and projects. Other projects for young volunteers may be available during the year.
- Special Projects - include light clerical work, washing books, special library service projects.
For additional information, submit a service request or contact:
Literacy Plus - 510-881-7912
Adult Volunteers - 510-881-7974
Student Volunteers - 510-881-7947 (Main Library) or 510-293-5065 (Weekes Branch)
Homework Support Center - 510-881-7535
Main Library - 510-293-8685
Weekes Branch - 510-782-2155
You may also submit a service request for this item in the 'Make a Service Request' area below.