Police personnel will assess vehicles reported as being possibly abandoned and take appropriate action to resolve the complaint. A vehicle (auto, boat, camper, mobile home, RV, truck, etc.) can be reported if any of the following conditions apply:
Certain vehicles may not be appropriate to submit as abandoned. Examples of vehicles that should not be submitted as abandoned are:
- The vehicle is on public property and appears to have not moved in excess of 72 hours
- The vehicle is on public property and is clearly missing parts necessary for safe operation (as determined by Police Personnel)
- The vehicle is on private property and is wrecked, burned, dismantled or missing parts necessary for operation.
When reporting an abandoned vehicle, please include the following:
- Vehicles with expired registration tabs
- Vehicles that are driven but are frequently parked in the same spot
- Vehicles that have aesthetic problems only.
- Vehicles that you believe may be stolen. Possibly stolen vehicles can be called in to the Police Department at: 510 293-7000
Vehicles can be submitted:
- exact address (required for vehicles on private property) or street and cross-street where vehicle is parked.
- vehicle color, make and model.
- vehicle license plate number and State where issued.
- optional: your name and phone # in case more information is needed.
Towed and Stored Vehicles
- Through Access Hayward. Click the line entitled “Make a Request Below” and enter the requested information. Please note that these requests may take up to 21 days to be completed.
- By phone to the Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at 510 293-5140. Please leave a voice message with the above requested information. Voice messages are checked daily.
To report an abandoned vehicle on a public street, contact PD-Abandoned Vehicle at 510-293-5140
To report an abandoned vehicle on private property, contact Community Preservation or 510-583-4143
You may also submit a service request for this item in the 'Make a Service Request' area below.