Identity Theft Prevention Tips and Instructions for Victims

IDENTITY THEFT is the fastest growing crime in the nation! It is best defined as the illegal possession or use of your personal information to obtain credit, goods or services, work, benefits, access your existing accounts or even commit crimes using your name. It costs businesses and individuals over 50 billion dollars a year, with only 25% of victims reporting.

If you are a Hayward resident or work in Hayward and become a victim of identity theft, make your preliminary report with the Hayward Police Department and your case will be forwarded to and investigated by the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. Please visit the following links for resources to help protect yourself from ID Theft or recover your good name once you have become a victim.

If you live or work in the City of Hayward and believe that you are the victim of identity theft, there is also now a FREE SERVICE that will provide advice and support to help you get through it.

This unique service is a partnership between the City of Hayward Police Department and the Identity Theft Council, a non-profit group of identity theft and security experts who are volunteering their time to provide FREE assistance to identity theft victims locally.

To speak to a Counselor by phone, call 1(888) 771-0767, or you can email them at Please visit the Identity Theft Council website at
Robo de Identidad - En cumplimiento de la Seccion 530.6 del Codigo Penal del Estado de California, el Departamento de Policia de la Ciudad de Hayward deberá crear un reporte de policia de cualquier persona que vive o trabaja en los limites de la juridicción del Departamento de Policia de la Ciudad de Hayward y que se ha enterado o que sospecha que su identificación personal ha sido ilegalmente usada por alguien, tal y como se describe en Subdivision (a) de la Sección 530.5 del Codigo Penal de California.

El Departamento de Policia de la Ciudad de Hayward dará al denunciante una copia del reporte é iniciará una investigación de los hechos. Si el crimen que se sospecha fué o tuvo lugar en una juridicción diferente, el Departamento de Policia de Hayward referirá el caso a la agencia de ley responsible donde el crimen que se sospecha tuvo lugar para investigar los hechos.

Si usted vive o trabaja en la Ciudad de Hayward y cree que ha sido victima de robo de identidad, ahora hay tambien un SERVICIO GRATIS para obtener asesoramiento y apoyo para ayudarlo a superar el problema.

Este servicio único es una alianza del Departamento de Policia de la Ciudad de Hayward y el Consejo de Robo de Identidad, esta es una entidad no lucrativa con expertos en robo de identidad y expertos en seguridad que trabajan como voluntarios para proporcionar asistencia GRATIS a nivel local a victimas de robo de identidad. Para hablar con un Consejero por teléfono, llame al 1 (888) 771-0767, o a travéz de correo electrónico a Por favor visite el sitio de Internet del Consejo de Robo de Identidad:

Los investigadores podrán o no investigar el caso basados en la información proporcionada en el reporte y dependiente de la juridicción donde el robo de identidad o transacciones se cree que ocurrieron.

Si usted conoce a cualquier persona o tiene cualquier información que podría indicar quien cometió el crimen por favor llame al Departamento de Policia de la Ciudad de Hayward al 510-293-7000 para presentar su reporte por teléfono o en persona y proporcionar toda la documentación necesaria.


To Start Id Theft Report (English): Start Report Button

To Start Id Theft Report (Spanish): Start Report Button

Use the attached resources to help protect yourself from the fastest growing crime in the United States.

Identity Theft Prevention - WORD

Resource List - WORD

Credit Freeze Instructions - Website

Credit Freeze Template Letters - WORD


Once you discover you are the victim of identity theft: Keep a written log of every phone call, copies of all correspondence and expenses associated with managing your identity theft case.

ID Theft Case Management - EXCEL
  1. Order a FREE copy of your credit report from all three credit reporting bureaus. (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion)

    To order your once yearly FREE report, visit, or call 1-877-322-8228. (You will also be entitled to additional free credit reports as a victim of Identity theft.)

    By ordering your report you will be able to determine whether there are any additional fraudulent accounts and/or inquiries that you need to report to law enforcement and the credit reporting bureaus.
  2. Complete ID Theft Affidavit.

    ID Theft Affidavit and Instructions - PDF
  3. File a preliminary police report with the law enforcement agency that services the jurisdiction in which you live or work.
    - Supply the law enforcement agency with a copy of your completed ID Theft Affidavit and any supporting documentation you have collected. These documents will be included with your report and evaluated for follow-up by the reporting agency and/or forwarded the agency(s) where the crime(s) occurred. (California Penal Code section 530.6)

    - Obtain a copy of your police report. You will need to provide a copy of this report to each of the creditors and credit reporting bureaus when reporting the fraud.
  4. Report the fraud to the three major credit reporting bureaus and place a preliminary "fraud alert" on your credit files. A fraud alert notifies a creditor to contact you at a specific phone number before granting credit.
    Experian. P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013 or 1-888-397-3742.

    TransUnion. P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790 or 1-800-680-7289.

    Equifax. P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30348 or 1-800-525-6285.
    The fraud alert will only remain in place for 90 days. Protect yourself by extending the fraud alert to 7 years. A 7 Year Fraud Alert Request must be done in writing and include a copy of your police report. (See template letter)

    7 Year Fraud Alert Request-Equifax - WORD

    7 Year Fraud Alert Request-Experian - WORD

    7 Year Fraud Alert Request-TransUnion - WORD

    ***A fraud alert is only as good as the creditor who sees it. You may also “Freeze” your credit files, which prevents a creditor from even viewing your credit history, so credit will not be granted without you personally lifting the “Freeze”. A credit freeze may be placed online at each of the three credit reporting bureaus or in writing. (See Credit Freeze Instructions and Template Letters)

    Credit Freeze Instructions - PDF

    Credit Freeze Template Letters - WORD

    - Follow up with "Blocking" letters to each of the three credit reporting bureaus requesting that all inquiries, fraudulent accounts, or collection information, as a result of fraud, be removed from your credit files. (See blocking letter templates)

    Equifax Blocking Letter - WORD

    Experian Blocking Letter - WORD

    TransUnion Blocking Letter - WORD

  5. Call Creditors and dispute fraudulent charges and any new accounts that the thief opened in your name. Request documents associated with the fraudulent account and/or transactions.

    - Tell the creditors that you are the victim of identity theft and ask them not to hold you responsible for new accounts opened by the thief or fraudulent charges made on your existing accounts. Ask the creditors to give you copies of documents associated with the new accounts or fraudulent charges, which you are entitled to by law. (530.8 PC)

    - Follow up your phone call with a letter to the creditors, reiterating what you said in your phone call. (See dispute letter templates)

    Dispute Letter for Existing Accounts - WORD

    Dispute Letter for New Accounts - WORD

  6. If you are contacted by a collection agency…

    - Tell the debt collector you are the victim of identity theft, that you dispute the debt, and are not responsible for it. Even if the debt collector assures you that they have relieved you of the debt, send the debt collector a certified follow-up letter, within 30 days, reiterating what you said or they may transfer your debt to another debt collector. (See collection agency dispute letter template)

    Collection Agency Dispute Letter - WORD

  7. If your checks, ATM card or bank account information is lost or stolen…

    - Call the bank and close your bank account. Open a new account with a new account number. Tell the bank you want to use a new password for access to your new account.

    - Contact the major check verification companies listed below and ask them to notify retailers who use their databases not to accept checks on your closed account. (If you do not take this step retailers will accept the check then attempt to collect from you when the check is returned "Account closed".)
    Telecheck: 1-800-710-9898

    Certegy, Inc: 1-800-237-3826

    SCAN: 1-800-262-7771

    CheckRite: 1-800-766-2748

    ChexSystems: 1-800-428-9623

    CrossCheck: 1-800-552-1900

    National Processing Co. (NPC): 1-800-526-5380
  8. If you are wrongly accused of a crime committed by an identity thief…

    -There is a special database in the California Department of Justice that can help victims of "Criminal Identity Theft", which occurs when a suspect in a criminal investigation identifies themselves using the identity of another, innocent person.
  9. When your child's identity is stolen…

    -Children are the fastest growing group of identity theft victims.
  10. Identity Theft and the Deceased…

    -The deceased are frequently targets of identity theft.
  11. 'Active Duty' Alert Helps Protect Military Personnel from Identity Theft:
  12. Income tax fraud
    Income tax fraud is one of the fastest growing types of Identity Theft and the most difficult to prevent. It cannot be detected by a fraud alert, credit freeze or by monitoring your other existing accounts. The only way to prevent income tax fraud is by making sure you file your taxes before anyone else can. If you are already the victim of identity theft or believe your information has been compromised you may also file an affidavit with the IRS. Once filed, the IRS attaches a password to your social security number, which is sent to you prior to tax time and is required to file your taxes. Unfortunately the Franchise Tax Board does not yet offer the same option.

    If someone has filed a tax return using your personal information or you receive a notice of back taxes owed do to someone having worked using your personal information….contact the IRS and the Franchise Tax Board, in addition to the steps already listed above. Do not assume that it is only your taxes that are affected.

    ID Theft Affidavit

    IRS Tax Return Waiver Form


    Franchise Tax board

To Start Id Theft Report (English): Start Report Button

To Start Id Theft Report (Spanish): Start Report Button


Unless you have suffered a financial loss and a police report is required for insurance purposes, report all Internet Crimes or suspected scams to the Internet Crime Complaint Center. The IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation, National White Collar Crime Center and the Bureau of Justice Assistance, which provides a central referral mechanism for complaints involving Internet related crimes.


Office of the Attorney General
Federal Trade Commission
ID Theft Resource Center
Privacy Rights Clearing House
Social Security Administration
Department of Motor Vehicles
U.S. Postal Inspection Service

Service Contacts:
Investigations Bureau 510-293-7034

Additional Information:
To report any crime, call 510-293-7000.
To report a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1

Look for other Answers

   Display more Topics for 'Police and Public Safety'