Property Neglect/ Nuisance Abatement
If a resident or a business does not take care of their property, you can can contact the City of Longview at 360.442.5082. Any person owning, managing, renting or having control of property within the city must keep it in a condition that meets city regulated minimum maintenance standards.   

General responsibilities for maintaining property include keeping it free of unsightly accumulations of litter, garbage, and/or junk, inoperable vehicles, overgrown vegetation. These conditions are likely to become unsanitary, offensive or likely to create disease.


To make a complaint about a possible code violation, you can contact the City of Longview at 360.442.5082 or 360.442.5093.  There are a variety of reasons people let property get to the point that it becomes a neighborhood nuisance. When they do, reporting these violations is important. Reporting nuisance violations helps our city's compliance officers do a better job and improves the quality of life and overall health of our community. You may come to city hall to file a complaint or call 442-5093 or 442-5082.


The responsibility for pre-existing code violation(s) and/or potential nuisances on a property ultimately lie with the property owner.


If you receive a notice from the City to correct code violations, you may have up to 14 days to correct the violation or to appeal the notice. Immediately dangerous situations must be remedied right away. If the violations require more time to correct, a Voluntary Compliance Agreement may be negotiated between the city and the property owner.


Stagnant water can pose serious health risks.  To find out about reporting stagnant standing water, contact the Compliance Department at 442-5093 or 442-5082.


Vehicle repair. No repair, restoration or modification of non-owned vehicles is permitted in residential districts. Work on vehicles is limited to the repair and maintenance of vehicles or equipment currently registered to the occupant or a member of the occupant's family. Then, only minor repairs and maintenance may be performed outside of a garage or "screened" area.


A fence, building or other type of structure that is sagging, leaning or so dilapidated that it causes a safety concern can be addressed by the city.  If you have a concern about your neighbor's leaning/sagging structure, you can contact our residential inspector at 360.442.5084. 


Storage of indoor furniture, appliances, machines, tools, cartons, and lawn maintenance equipment is prohibited from being stored outside. This also includes any used, deteriorated or discarded building materials, barrels, boxes or auto parts.


Discarded appliances. Except when stored within a building as defined in Section R202 of the International Residential Code, refrigerators, household appliances, and similar equipment shall not be discarded, abandoned or stored on any premises within the City. 


Firewood. There are rules within the City of Longview regarding firewood storage.  Outdoor wood and firewood storage should be neatly stacked not to exceed 6 feet in height and must be adequately supported as not to pose a hazard to persons or property. Firewood cannot be storage within any property setback area.


General responsibilities for maintaining property you own include keeping it free of unsightly accumulations of litter, garbage, and/or junk, inoperable vehicles, overgrown vegetation. These conditions are likely to become unsanitary, offensive or likely to create disease.


Rodent harborage or insect infestation. All structures shall be kept free from insect and rodent infestation. All structures in which insects or rodents are found shall be promptly exterminated by approved processes that will not be injurious to human health. After extermination, proper precautions shall be taken to prevent re-infestation.


Structure condition:  PROTECTIVE TREATMENT. All exterior surfaces, including but not limited to, doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches, trim, balconies, decks and fences shall be maintained in good condition. Exterior wood surfaces, other than decay-resistant woods, shall be protected from the elements and decay by painting or other protective covering or treatment. All siding and masonry joints as well as those between the building envelope and the perimeter of windows, doors, and skylights shall be maintained weather resistant and water tight. Tarp use for weather protection may not exceed 30 days. All metal surfaces subject to rust or corrosion shall be coated to inhibit such rust and corrosion and all surfaces with rust or corrosion shall be stabilized and coated to inhibit future rust and corrosion. Surfaces designed for stabilization by oxidation are exempt from this requirement. ROOFS AND DRAINAGE. The roof and flashing shall be sound, tight and not have defects that admit rain. Tarp use for weather protection may not exceed 30 days. Roof drainage shall be adequate to prevent dampness or deterioration in the walls or interior portion of the structure. Roof drains, gutters and downspouts shall be maintained in good repair and free from obstructions. Roof water shall not be discharged in a manner that creates a public nuisance.



Improper Occupancy. "Improper occupancy" includes all buildings or portions thereof occupied for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes which are not designed or intended to be used for such occupancies. A structure unfit for human occupancy is a structure that is unsafe, unlawful or, because of the degree to which the structure is in disrepair or lacks maintenance, is insanitary, vermin or rat infested, contains filth and contamination, or lacks ventilation, illumination, sanitary or heating facilities or other essential equipment required by code, or because the location of the structure constitutes a hazard to the occupants of the structure or to the public.

Make a Service Request for Property Neglect/ Nuisance Abatement
More Topics for Maintaining a Safe/Attractive Community
Return to all Topics