Garbage, Recycling and Hazardous Waste


The general rules for regulating garbage and recycling carts are as follows:  Trash and recycling carts may be placed out 24 hours prior to your scheduled pickup day. They must be brought back to your residence within 24 hours of their pickup date. If you have questions about this or other garbage and/or recycling issue, please call 442-5223.



You may also submit a service request for this item in the 'Make a Service Request' area below.


If you want to know what you can do with hazardous waste, Solid Waste Transfer Station at 1150 3rd Avenue accepts household hazardous waste every Tuesday and Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.  Items accepted include batteries, pesticides, thinners, solvents, paint, motor oil, antifreeze, pool chemicals, toxic, corrosives, or flammable materials.


Effective July 1, 2009, the Cowlitz County Landfill will be closed to the public and the new facility at the Solid Waste Transfer Station will be open.  Waste Control will provide the same programs, such as the free Household hazardous waste program and a variety of recycling programs available to the public.



In an effort to dispose of and keep your unwanted medical prescriptions out of the reach of pets and children, please secure them into a double plastic bag and discard into your garbage container.  Ecology advises not to place these prescriptions in the toilet for disposal.


To dispose of old electronics, "E-Waste" is accepted at the Solid Waste Transfer Station.  E-waste is defined as all televisions, computer monitors, computer boxes and laptops.  In addition, these items can also be dropped off at Goodwill Industries as part of the state's new electronic waste recycling program.


If you want to dispose of unwanted household furniture that you no longer need, such as couches, chairs, mattresses or televisions, please DO NOT discard in alleys.  Please bring these items to the Solid Waste Transfer Station for proper disposal or contact Waste Control at 360.425.4302 and for a minor charge they will come and remove those unwanted items. 

There are requirements for disposing of a Christmas tree. There will be a one week period that the city will advertise where all Christmas trees will be collected either at the curb or in the alley at no charge.  For those that do not get the tree out in time, call the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at 360-442-5223.


Garbage or recycling containers will get collected during severe weather conditions, such as flooding or snow storms.  The contractor will make every effort to get all garbage and recycling containers collected during these events.  If an event occurs and your neighborhood is not collected, the contractor will go back as soon as it is safe to do and will get it collected.  If a miss is anticipated by the contractor, they will contact the news media in an effort to notify its customers.


There are certain items that can be placed in the recycling tubs and carts. The existing curbside recycling program accepts the following materials: Newspaper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, cardboard, glass bottles and jars, tin and aluminum cans and plastics 1 and 2. 


There is not a specific process to prepare materials for recycling.  The curbside program is a "commingled" system, meaning no need to do any separating!  Please keep the material clean.  No need to remove paper labels from your glass bottles or jars or from your tin cans.  Please remove the caps from the plastics containers and throw away.  Please gently rinse your cans to remove any food product.  Please do not dispose of garbage into your recycling containers as this will contaminate a whole load of good recyclable material that will end up being thrown away.



If your garbage or recycling pick up gets missed, call the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at 360-442-5223.


If your garbage or recycling container is broken or damaged, call the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at 360-442-5223.


Make a Service Request for Garbage, Recycling and Hazardous Waste
More Topics for Garbage, Recycling, and Hazardous Waste
Return to all Topics