Resident Service Center

The City of Santa Clarita is dedicated to providing excellent customer service to our citizens to ensure they enjoy a high quality of life. Please use our Resident Service Center to access City services and make online requests.

Your service request will be designated to a city department that will follow up to ensure the request is resolved in a timely manner.

Please note, the Resident Service Center answers non-emergency calls and any request of city services. The Resident Service Center is not monitored during the weekends, in the event of an emergency requiring the response of a police officer, please contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at (661) 255-1121, or dial 911.

Find what you’re looking for with a simple and fast search!

  1. Enter your keywords in the search bar and click Search.
  2. Relevant topics will appear in the search results.
  3. Still can’t find your answer? Click Submit Request and we’ll respond to your question as soon as possible by email.

TIP: Check out our Top 10 Areas of Interest to see what topics are trending for the month.

Encroachment Permit

Encroachment permit applications are available for pick-up at the Engineering Services Division public counter, located at:

Santa Clarita City Hall

23920 Valencia Blvd., Suite 140

Santa Clarita, CA  91355


Encroachment permit are also available on-line:


Download the Encroachment Permit Application


Applications must be returned to the Permit Center and will not be accepted through the mail.  You may contact the Engineering Services division at the numbers listed below for additional information:


Engineering Permit Hotline  (661) 286-4060

Engineering Permit Fax   (661) 284-1432


When is it required?


An encroachment permit is  required any time there is work being done within the public right-of-way.  Below is a list of items that require an encroachment permit but no improvement plans from the Engineering Services division:

  1. Curb drains
  2. Dumpsters (No Containers)
  3. Lane closures
  4. Truck parking for pool excavations
  5. Utility trenches by utility agencies (certain restrictions apply)
  6. Residential sewer laterals (requires Building  & Safety approval)
  7. Residential driveways
  8. Curb and gutter (small jobs)

All other items, not listed above, require approval from the Engineering Services division and, possibly, the Traffic division.


Who may apply for the permit? 


Unless the property owner is acting as their own general contractor, the project's general contractor or subcontractor will be required to provide documentation of the appropriate state contractor license numbers and worker's compensation insurance coverage. 


Why is an encroachment permit needed?

Each day, the City of Santa Clarita issues encroachment permits to homeowners, contractors, and different agencies planning to perform construction related work within our City's roadways. The City requires that each individual or agency obtain an encroachment permit before performing any work in the public right-of-way. An Encroachment Permit allows the City to control what is placed in the public right-of-way and gives the City the ability to ensure that only qualified parties, who are properly licensed and insured, work in our public streets. An Encroachment Permit also provides the permittee with a clear understanding of requirements for working on public property.


What happens when work is performed within the public right-of-way without a permit?

All work will be stopped and the individual will be assessed penalty fees or face a potential fine.  In addition, the property owner or contractor will be required to pull an encroachment permit and any other permits (from other divisions if applicable).


How long is an encroachment permit valid?

Depending on the type of permit issued, some are valid for up to a period of ten days, while others are valid for one months or more. Specific information can be obtained by calling (661) 286-4060.

More Topics for Public Works, Streets and Sidewalks
Return to all Topics