Ask Arvada Official City of Arvada CRM

Semi-Trucks and Large Vehicles

Ask Arvada logo

Semi-trucks and large vehicles (to include dump trucks)are not allowed in residential areas except for loading and unloading.

Sec. 54-54.  Article I, section 513. Parking of major vehicles in residential districts. The Model Traffic Code is hereby modified to read as follows:

(a) The city council hereby finds and declares that the parking of major vehicles within a residential district is detrimental to the general welfare of the citizens and to the economic welfare of the municipality, and that regulation of such parking within residential areas is a permissible regulation of the aesthetics of the community.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to park or store any major vehicle within any residence district, except for purposes of loading or unloading.

(c) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any major vehicle to permit such vehicle to be parked or stored within any residence district, except for purposes of loading or unloading.

(d) For purposes of this section the term "major vehicle" shall mean any vehicle:

  • Eight feet or more in width; and/or  
  • Twenty-five feet or more in length; or
  • A vehicle with an attached trailer whose combined length when attached is in excess of thirty feet; or
  • A vehicle whose Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds 10,000 lbs. excepting Major recreation vehicles; or
  • A vehicle whose Gross Vehicle Weight Rating exceeds 14,500 ogs. excepting Major recreational vehicles; or
  • A truck tractor, semitrailer, or dump truck regardless of size.  The term "large vehicle" does not include boats, motor homes, or travel trailers.

(e) Notwithstanding subsections (a) and (b) of this section, the director of the planning department may issue a permit authorizing the parking of a major vehicle within a residence district for a fixed period of time where it is shown to be reasonably necessary in the course of a construction project. The fee for such a permit shall be $10.00.

(f) This section 513 shall not apply on state highways within this municipality.

To ask a question or make a request on this topic, please submit a service request. For more information, contact the Code Enforcement Division, 720-898-7465.

This information was brought to you by Community Development.

You may also submit a service request for this item in the 'Make a Service Request' area below.

Look for other Answers
Didn't Find the Answer to Your Question?